Friday, September 17, 2010

You spin me right round, baby, right round

Holy crap. It's Friday. This goes in the record as the craziest week of my life.
Woke up to precious Abby. Rolled around in bed with her. Made breakfast and we hang out a bit. The kitchen table has become a repository for mail, medical paperwork, receipts, and various Abby stuff.  It is really bugging me. I usually clear it off nightly. Things like this are slipping through the cracks now. I have to let it go.

I get an email from my girlfriend Susie who is in contact with a co-worker who is a breast cancer survivor. She suggests that I see Piny, the wig guy immediately and also schedule a teeth cleaning because apparently you can't have one during Chemo. I call Dr. Tabsh, my maternal fetal medicine guy to leave another message. I call my dentist and explain my situation and say I need to get in before Tuesday. Receptionist will call me back. I call Piny and when I tell them I start Chemo on Tuesday they tell me to come right down before they close early for high holidays. I help Abby get into her outfit for dance class and I am just eating her up. They leave and I rush upstairs to shower and get dressed then rush out the door.

Get to Piny's salon. My friend Vizhier meets me there for moral support. I'm thinking my wig should be like a Selma Blair bob with bangs. He tells me that a blunt cut bob would make me look like an orthodox jew. I wasn't really thinking to go for that look. Anyway, his work in incredible, the hair and scalp cap look very real. He says if I want a wig with my hair length he says it would run about $6,000. Ouch. I told him my hair, despite its length, is always in a pony tail or a bun so I just need something that is "young Mom easy"...So I am getting a shoulder lenth layered wig with bangs for the bargain price of $3,000.  Fantastic.

Rush out of there to get to the dentist at 12:45. She gets to work and I immediately regret making the appointment since I have to endure this pain. I am getting yelled at for not flossing enough or effectively. Anyway, she let me have it. It takes about an hour and Vizhier tells me she's at Barney's eating at the counter. I am so hungry at that point I could eat some rocks. 2:00 lunch. Another delayed meal. I order the salmon, brown rice cooked with peppers, tomatoes, spinach, asparaus and mushrooms. Delicious. I eat the entire thing but my stomach hasn't registered that it's full yet. After I show Vizhier my approved list of cancer-fighting foods she suggests that I get the banana split for dessert. It's a little tradition between us. You know I want that banana split but instead we share the fruit platter.  Now I'm full.

David comes to meet us. He walks off the elevator and I think, "Oooo, he's handsome" then I realize it's my husband. That was nice. We head out to Tower Oncology for my Chemo Class.  We meet with Anne, an RN, to begin. I am really starting to fade. There is so much to learn but she makes it all easy to understand.  FEC-100 is my Chemo treatment and my Port will be a powerport. The port scares me the most. Guess what I get to decide? Whether or not to live in the needle for access or not or just get poked again through the skin to access the port for the Chemo. I choose to not think about this for a bit and make a note to ask Sharon about it.  Anne tells us all about the side effects of Chemo and how they will help me manage the symptoms.

So today was:
Piny, the wig guru
Teeth Cleaning
Chemo Class

Next week is:
Monday - Port (1:00PM) and EKG (4:00PM)
Tuesday - Chemo (1:30PM-4:30PM)
Wednesday - Hydration (2-4PM)

This weekend. No Nanny. Gave her the weekend off because I was going to go see my grandparents in Idyllwild with my mom and sister...David was going to be in Miami. Now, I have a million things to organize and deal with and no help. So I'm making my sister come up. Poooooor Auntie Lindsey. My Mom will come up Sunday too. 

I had the most amazing prenatal massage with a therapist named Guy Core. He does hot jade stone massage and he got rid of my pregnancy-induced sciatica. He also works with cancer patients and focuses on lymphatic draining. I have a 90 minute massage scheduled with him for Saturday and I am really looking forward to that. 

I'm also hoping to just have some time to digest things. I'm pretty overwhelmed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment