Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Not what I hoped for...hospice.

The negative shift in my health has come so fast that I just can't even believe it. Currently I am sleeping all day except for appointments I have. I have a completely distended stomach and the liver is very swollen. It makes it very difficult to eat because of the nausea and the pressure in my abdomen and lack of appetite. I can barely walk up and down stairs without becoming incredibly winded. In fact I prefer to lay in bed than walk anywhere at all. I have zero energy and feel very weak. 

This started about a week ago. It turns out that the rash was not a rash at all but billirubin being released into my skin. Liver functions are significantly compromised. I am in a lot of pain and very uncomfortable. Like I said I can barely walk around. Worst of all, having zero energy also impacts whether or not I can spend time with the kids. Last week Abby was very reactive with me. She doesn't like to see me sick and laying in bed all the time. I don't think I've ever done that the whole time I've been fighting this disease. But I also don't know what to tell her because I keep holding on to hope that there is time left for me. One more thing to do, one more trial to try, one more surgery to fix this. But that is like looking for the holy Grail.

I was able to complete all of the testing for the trial last week and everything seemed fine. They called me on Friday to say that I need to go in on Monday to repeat my blood work because my platelets were too low. They also wanted to repeat my liver function tests. All the results from those tests were very discouraging. I will no longer able to participate in the trial. The liver is too compromised and is in the beginnings of failure.

I saw Dr. McAndrew yesterday on Monday for blood work, hydration, and ended up needing a unit of blood too. After looking at all the blood work and the swelling in my abdomen, she is suggesting hospice. She estimated about three weeks. She also suggested that since my kidneys and heart were so strong that it could be delayed. But I wouldn't really be functional at that point. I asked Mary Lou to tell me what really happens to patients in my condition. She told me that I won't really know what is happening. She said as the billirubin starts building up in my system that it will start to make me confused and disoriented.

I know I have said many times before that you can't make decisions when you're in pain. I am really feeling the effects of that. I just want to be at peace and out of pain. I want to get the hospice in here as soon as possible so they could monitor pain medication and really help me get comfortable. 

The other last hope though very small would be from the ultrasound of the abdomen I had today. If for some reason there is a blockage in the bile duct, then they can put in a stent and then be able to continue some type of treatment. Philomena said, however, that the chance of that was very small, given results of the blood work. At that point I would be able to continue some type of chemotherapy or potentially get back onto a trial once the blood recovered. Once again the problem becomes a) risks and recovery from surgery and b) if the liver is already compromised what type of chemo can you do that isn't metabolized in the liver?

There are so many moving pieces right now like trying to find hospice and trying to find a good therapist/transitional list for the children, and also going for broke to see if there is anything else out there that can help me. Thankfully David is in charge of this for me. He's working hard reaching out to family, friends, doctors and institutions to make something happen. I am living on borrowed time.

I always thought when they said that you had a few weeks or a few months to live that you would take charge and go do things on your bucket list. But when you are in a bad state of health it is impossible to do anything other than sleep in your bed.

I have so many things I still want to do before I go. Bucket list doesn't seem possible. Mostly I just want to put together keepsake boxes with letters, videos and mementos for the kids so that they can remember me. 

Everybody says it sounds like I am giving up. However, at what point do you surrender? At what point do you face the reality that your time is coming to a close and start getting your affairs in order? 

I want to thank everyone for all of the texts, emails, phone calls, visits, gifts, deliveries and support that you have given me over the last few months. I have been hoping to get around to responses and thank you notes (like for my birthday) but there never seems to time.  Please know that I really appreciate your thoughtfulness, love and support. 

I had to write up a medical history synopsis for all the research we are doing. It was incredibly depressing. To see the last four years of my life summarized into three paragraphs of treatments, surgeries, and injections just made me sick to my stomach. When I was less knowledgeable about cancer it seemed like there were a lot of strides being made in cancer research. But many people die every day from this disease and I don't feel like we are any closer to a cure. People may say that cancer doesn't define you, but looking back since my initial diagnosis - I think, how could it not? It has been the biggest uninvited guest in my life for the past four years. Now it plans to rob me of raising my children and being a wife to my lovely husband David... I'm 38.
#fuckcancer

For so long I kept hoping to get better and get back to sense of normalcy. A place of peace. The mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical break that every warrior needs to recharge the battery for the next fight. I hope I can get through this. But my yellow colored wolf eyes are telling me something different...

Medical History:
Diagnosed in September 2010 while 5 months pregnant; no family history of breast cancer, BRCA1, BRCA2 and BART negative. Pathology was ER+ 75%, PR-,  Her2 negative (1+), Androgen Receptor positive 15% (3+). Immunostains showed that the neoplastic cells were positive for CK7, estrogen receptor, and GCDFP-15 (rare cells); they were negative for CK20, TTF-1, HepPar, chromogranin, and CDX-2. Repeated pathology after recurrence -  immunostains performed were reported to show ER positivity in 95% of tumor cells with a staining intensity of 2-3+, negative staining for PR, a Ki-67 labeling index of 21%, and low expression of p53. Immunostaining for HER-2/neu was equivocal (score 2+). HER-2/neu amplification by FISH was negative. 

Initial treatment plan was four cycles FEC-100 (cytoxan, epirubicin, fluoracil). Gave birth 12/2010, then four cycles Carboplatin and Paclitaxel, followed by left breast mastectomy and lymph node removal (15 of 19 positive) on 4/2011, immediate reconstruction with expander. Radiation for 7 weeks with Xeloda boost ending 7/2011. Tamoxifen, Lupron treatments after initial treatment. Metastatic breast cancer confirmed - liver and bones 9/2012. Sought advice from MD Anderson; repeated liver biopsy to get into possible trial; started Xeloda 11/2012. Switched to monthly lupron injections and added monthly Xgeva infusions. On 8/2013 switched to Afinitor/Aromasin combination (terrible reaction). On 1/2014 switched to Abraxane, dramatic improvement in bones - 4 cycles but continued rise in tumor markers;  after 2 month insurance fight and approval; attempted Y90- siripheres procedure - angio-mapping procedure revealed advanced liver disease and surgeon would not do procedure without tumor shrinkage. Switched to Carboplatin/Gemzar and attempted 4 cycles but low blood counts continually delayed infusions. Currently, waiting to start clinical trial for FGFR inhibitor JNJ-42756493, a pan-fibroblast growth factor receptor (FGFR) inhibitor.  Patient has FGFR3 genetic mutation.  


24 comments:

  1. You are an incredible person. Your beauty shines through in every one of your posts. Your words and honesty are a gift

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica-
    I will continue to keep you in my prayers. I pray for your strength to do do the things your want to get done and peace for you and your family. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so brave, Jessica. You are an incredible, strong woman and role model to your children and all who come upon your story (like myself this evening). I recently went through some dark times with my own mother and I will tell you I wish I had her story and strength to read and reread like you have given your children here. I wish I had her stories and thoughts to share with my own. You and your family are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for a blockage in your bile duct and other miracles for you. I have been reading your blog since you started it. I have been inspired by your strength, honesty and courage. I have little patience for people who complain about the mundane annoyances in life. Don't they know if you have your health and get to spend time with the people you love, that you are incredibly blessed? Your blog has helped me remember this, and I am a better person for it. You have changed my life and I don't think I'm alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess, this is Wendy Bjeldanes (Chang). Thank you for sharing your journey with such frankness and vulnerability. You know you gave your best fight. I just want you to know how much I cherish you and feel for you. I will pray for your peace, comfort, and courage in the days to come. Be strong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, Our heart and prayers are with you and your family at this time.May the Lord keep you comfortable in the days ahead. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My beautiful Jessica! My heart is so full right now. I have followed you through your blog and facebook posts. I continue to pray for you and your family. You are a grand fighter, a strong woman and the most magical mother. I know you will find your peace and freedom from pain when YOU are ready. God bless you always and forever! Dennis Cooke

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are loved. You are prayed for. You are amazing. You are forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jessica, I started following your blog a couple of years ago after seeing it on my news feed from Facebook. I don't know you, but I feel like I do. You have taught me what true courage, strength, and perseverance really are. I want to say thank you for showing me what's really important in life. I will never forget you. I believe in miracles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica,
    I am so sorry for what you have gone through and what you are currently going through. I hope you are able to complete those boxes for your children. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang in there Jess!!! I can't think of anything else useful to say. I am praying for you. I am cheering for you! HANG IN THERE JESSICA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Jessica - Kelvin just sent your last post to his family and I read it. I remember you telling an excellent joke at dinner for his (30th?) birthday party in Arizona years ago. That was a wonderful weekend. You are a vivid, powerful, lovely human, and have have always been and will always be a great blessing to all who are close to you. I wish you to feel surrounded by great waves of love and peace now, and forever. They are real.
    Paul Davis

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Jessica,
    I found out about your blog today. I wanted to let you know that you & your family are in my thoughts and prayers! My heart hurts for you and your loved ones. We went to WJHS together.
    Salina Morin XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. My name is Julie and I am a friend of Karen and Kerry 'a and I want you to know we are praying for you and there are so many people you don't even know who are here for you and your family. Sending so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Jessica,
    I would suggest three things:
    1) Drink Soursop/Guanabana tea. (boil the leaves for 20+ minutes. Drink 3X day. If you make a big pot in the morning, consume everything within 8 hours. Can find the leaves on Amazon.)
    2) Eliminate dairy. The casein in dairy feeds the cancer.
    3) Focus on plant based foods. Plant based foods help your body rebuild itself the most.
    I'm not saying these are the miracle cure, but I completely believe that they will give you more time. I currently have a dog that was diagnosed with bone cancer mid-June and he was given 1-2 months to live. I am giving him Cannabis (THC free) (note that I believe the THC is what fights the cancer in Cannabis, however with the legality, hard to obtain), super vitamin supplements, started with soursop tea about a week ago and of course am feeding the best quality food I can find. He is still running around, trying to catch flies with his mouth (the cancer is in his jaw) and wants to race me up and down the yard. I noticed the biggest difference in his behavior with the addition of the soursop tea. Prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Jessica, my name is Christina Carreon-Hernandez, I knew you in your very early years. You were such a beautiful baby, and little girl that I had such a pleasure playing with and seeing you grow. Now your this beautiful young lady with a family that is the apple of your mom's eyes as your I am sure. I must say reading your post makes my heart well up, you have to be one of the strongest and loving person I have had the pleasure to have known from my past. You have put yourself out there to people to see your journey and that of your family. It is heart breaking to know that you are facing such challenges. I want to offer you my favorite Psalm, which is Psalm 103 verse 1-5, I say it aloud three times each time a little louder. When I went through the journey with my daughter cancer, not to the degree of what you are facing , though scary. I send you the strength of all Gods warriors and I confess on your behalf your healing. I stand before your cancer and confess it to be gone in our Healthy Fathers name. And I place your name in the book of headings in my Auntie Margaret Church, where they have people that pray around the clock. May all your dreams come true and may you get to get the things done that mean the most to you. And I am here to be of any support that I can to you and your family. God Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jessica..I know it feels as if ur battle is coming to an end..but its not. Uu have been a warrior thru all of this! Continue ur fight, dont put ur gloves down! I know wut the bloodtests say, but wuts in ur mind, is different. Stay positive...keep pushing!! Love uu Jess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jessica:
    I havent't seen you in years. I read your blog and went back to the start. You have always a bren such s positive, pretty and very smart girl. Your strength is amazing just like your mom. Keep fighting Jessica. God bless you and i will keep you close yo my heart in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Praying for you. With God, all things are possible.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Incredible courage. You are a wonderful mother. Our family is sending prayers during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I shall pray for you.. Genetic mutations suck and are unfair.. I hope they can find a medicine to help you in some way.. . . Cancer sucks... My friend is fighting stage 3 breast cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have tears in my eyes from reading this post. We've never met, I follow your friend Larue on Instagram. In praying for comfort for you and your family. You seem like a very strong person, wonderful wife and mother, I'm glad you're making more memories with your loved ones. I know at this point there's not much to tell you to lift your spirits, but I'll be praying for you all. I'm so sorry cancer had to come into your life. It's unfair and cruel. The people who know u will never forget the fighter you were.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Jess, you are a very strong woman, an inspiration. please continue to be strong and fight. we are always praying for you. and I always make sure you are included in Sunday Mass Prayers. We love you so much. we'll keep praying. Miracles always happen Jess, and I know you'll get through this. we have to! AJ and Hanna Lucero

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just love and peace to you, for you. You are a warrior but even warriors rest. You have set such an example of courage and perseverance. You have awed me. Timeless love to you. D

    ReplyDelete