Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Port and Other news...

Morning appointment with Dr. Daly. Glucose test. Yuck and it immediately made me tired and now I'm freaking out that I could have pregancy-induced diabetes. As you know, I have wonderful luck these days. Note to self to buy some lotto tickets.

Give the blood, see the doctor, then I get an ultrasound. Peanut was, amazingly, looking right at the sonographer and waved "hi".  I kid you not. I have the proof. He looks so precious and I am really starting to get attached to this little boy. (Side note that I have not been attached in this pregnancy mainly because of Ben and me being scared). I suppose I now have a new appreciation for this little masterpiece growing in my belly. He is tracking a week ahead of schedule and is 2lbs6ozs.  I'm happy.

Meet Abby at dance class. She's not in the mood. Instead she wants to cuddle with me and sit in my lap and hang on me. She knows something is up. These kids are so intuitive. I have a band-aid on my arm from where they drew the blood this morning and she points at it. I tell her mommy has a boo-boo and ask her if she wants to kiss it. She does. It really feels all better! We just hang out and since she's not into dance class we head home and get some lunch. She throws a fit when I have to leave...

Flash-forward to after the PAS-port procedure. I now have a powerport buried in my arm...My arm kills. Let's say the Port procedure went as planned...TWICE. Yep, they "missed" the first time. The Dr. said it is like inserting a spaghetti noodle into a tiny key hole and without the flouroscopy it is "difficult" to say the least. So went through it once, went downstairs to get an x-ray, figure out that it was askew and went back up to re-do the procedure. So pissed. And really nervous and scared the second time. This time as he's doing it he asks me to let him know if anything feels out of normal. Well aside from the burning from the alcohol to clean the incision since the previous numbing solutuon wore off...nothing yet. Burning skin! Ugh. Then out of nowhere I feel something in my throat. I tell him are you putting the catheter in my throat? Ooops, he says. Then not two seconds later I feel it behind my ear. He reassures me that it is like the catheter that's in my vein "got off at the 10 when it should have stayed on the 405"...Finally I feel my heart bulge and palpitate. I yell, "MY HEART IS PALPITATING!!!!!" He says that's a good sign! Pffff. Then it's pretty much done. He sews me up, puts on the dressing and the ace bandage and I'm free to leave one-hour late for my EKG.

We get to EKG and it's closed. I flag down a lady in the hall and she tries to help me. Poor woman. She says she can't do it because I don't have the paperwork. WTF. David is fuming. Still I give him the eye and tell nice nurse Jacki that I really appreciate her staying late and helping me so that I don't have to come back. She promises to leave a note for her supervisor and I can have Carla from Dr. McAndrew's office fax over the proper paperwork tomorrow.  Get the EKG done in less than 15 minutes and we are done. Spent all afternoon at the hospital again.

No comments:

Post a Comment