Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Houston. We have a problem.

No one said this was going to be easy, right?!?! I went in for Chemo Tuesday and as they removed the ace bandage protecting the surgically sealed and dressed port they noticed it was all red... Cue suspenseful music. Apparently, since we all know how LUCKY I am, my arm had a horrible allergic reaction to the adhesive. Regardless, they *still* had to remove the adhesive. Good times! My arm has some skin left thankfully. The nurse tried to let the area rest and get some air so that we could proceed but it was killing me. I think I have a higher tolerance for pain but, man oh man, I was not happy and I wasn't going to let anyone poke me with a huge gauge needle. Nurse Bill called in reinforcement and Nurse Angela (who I really like) said I shouldn't let anyone touch the arm. Whew! She called Dr. McAndrew (whom I started balling in front of when she saw me and gave me a hug).  Dr. McAndrew said we need to wait...Basically, chemo was a "no go" so I am going to re-attempt it Thursday. Same bat time, same bat channel. If the arm isn't well enough by then we will do Monday. Given the pending delivery timeline it's not great news since we want 4 Chemo sessions under my belt before birth but regardless my arm has to heal so there's no chance of infection.


David will be back in town tonight so he can be with me tomorrow.  You should have seen how green he was when they were taking off the dressing. He said "Okaaaaay, I'm going to look at my laptop now!" Too funny. Everything else, including hydration and accupuncture, is going to be pushed back too.


More results in today -
  • Blood Count from Dr. Daly - Normal;
  • Diabetes from Dr. Daly - drum roll please - Normal;
  • Anti-body test - Negative, but I already know I was Rh-, which means I get a RhoGham shot. No big whoop. I'll get that later this week.
  • BRCA (breast cancer gene test) - the MOST important, from Dr. Krisi Funk was NEGATIVE.  The full panel was run - no mutation.   
That's some great news. Let's hope that my luck is turning now!

No comments:

Post a Comment