Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Long. Day. Two.

This morning Peanut wakes me up at 5:45.  Can't go back to sleep. Abby decides to wake up at 7:15. That was nice to lay in bed for once. She wakes up in a great mood and that makes me happy. We hang out until I have to leave for my first appointment.

While filling out my first of what I'm sure are going to be a zillion questionnaires, Dr. Daly's nurse calls to tell me the pathology report has been finalized.  David runs over to pick up a copy. The results are HER-2/neu (HER2-); ER+ (estrogen positive); PR-/+ (progesterone weakly positive). The HER2- means that this is a less aggressive cancer. That is somewhat good news. But don't know what else it really means until we meet with the oncologist...

After the usual insurance, questionnaire, and vitals rigamorole we meet with Dr. Alice Chung. She is young and she is instantly engaging. She starts from the beginning going over the basics of breast cancer and then get specific to my case. She orders a digital mammogram because she is concerned about my right breast since there is a tumor in my left breast. David offers that I should do the left breast too, right???  Thank you very much husband of mine. I tell him that even though I've never had a mammogram I've heard it feels like squishing your boob in the fridge door. But he's right.

Post mammogram they discover some calcifications (calcium that deposits when cells die) in both breasts so she orders an ultrasound of the right breast and also wants a biopsy of the enlarged lymph node on the left. I get to undergo a fine needle aspiration. They take two samples and have the radiologist come down to check the results, they need two more samples. Stab, stab, stab. Finally they get what they need.

We get back to our room to discuss the results with Dr. Chung. The radiologists preliminary result is positive on the lymph node. So...I am now Stage III. This is so not what we were hoping for. The pregnancy also means we can't do full scans/MRI/imaging to acurately figure out if it has spread anywhere else.  This changes what I thought was going to be the "plan"... Now the plan is 1) find an oncologist 2) start chemotherapy to shrink the tumor and kill any "rogue" cells 3) deliver the baby 4) finish chemo (with the really bad stuff post-baby) 5) Surgery 6) Radiation. 

David and I both really like Dr. Chung. She is very knowledgeable and really helps me understand that this is cureable and that I have options.  Her staff is incredible and everything is state of the art and immediately available since her office is within St. John's hospital.  On my way out I hear Dr. Chung speaking directly to Dr. McAndrew to see if she'll see me.  This surgeon isn't messing around. Now on to go see Dr. Funk...

David grabbed me a turkey sandwich in a plastic box from the hospital cafeteria that I scarf down dry since I am starving! Peanut is pissed. He is kicking me for food. Meanwhile David is raving about the amazing cafeteria at St. John's and his delicious chicken and spinach fettucini pasta that he had while I was getting my biopsy!

We race to Dr. Funk.  She can't see us for another hour or so.  We walk over to Neiman's for my second lunch. I can't eat my salad fast enough. Scarf that down then try to get through to Dr. McAndrew's office. I'm getting panicky to see her. Leave a message. Waaaah. Get back to Dr. Funk's office and wait.  On a side note, having just been at the John Wayne Cancer Institute, the Pink Lotus Breast Center has the feel of a medical spa/plastic surgeon's office. And the staff seem very "different".  I'm on a high after being with Dr. Chung so I'm being super critical here, of course.

Finally at around 4:45 we go to a room with the nurse. After she takes my vitals and gathers more info my phone buzzes and it's Dr. McAndrew's office!! She can see me tomorrow at 3pm. Hallelujah! 5pm we meet Dr. Funk.  She walks in a gives me a big hug and says how sorry she is about this ordeal. She has already talked to the pathologist and accessed the records at St. John AND she has talked to Dr. McAndrew as well.  We immediately get down to business.  She also "starts from the beginning" but during her explanations I am learning even more detailed information than before.  I don't think it's a bad thing that I am seeing two of the best breast surgeon in Los Angeles and that I am in love with both of them, is it?

Basically, the type of cancer I have and the fact that the lymph node is infected means my treatment REQUIRES radiation.  And regardless of whether I decide to do a lumpectomy or a mastectomy (depends on personal choice) I will have radiation. That answers that question. The other thing is that surgery will come later. Chemotherapy has to start right away. That will be determined by the oncologist.  We discuss many more details but even though I am blown away that it is stage III I am so encouraged to know more information and to know that soon I will have a plan of attack!

We race home to see Abby.  She is SO excited to see Mommy.  This makes my whole day. I was completely exhausted driving home and just forgot all about it when I saw those beautiful blue eyes light up. She won't let me out of her sight to even use the restroom so I know she missed me tons.  We go upstairs to read some books. Apparently she had some pizza with our nanny and a lot of it.  When we get upstairs she blows chunks all over herself, me and the shag rug. Poor baby. I'm hoping it was just from too much food and the excitement and not the beginning of something else.  That's all I need right now!  Thankfully she sees the doctor tomorrow morning for her wellness appointment.  I strip her clothes, put her in the bath and brush her teeth.  She seems totally unfazed and just happy to have me home. We read books put on pajamas and then I rock and sing her to sleep.  I sing "good night Abby, good night Abby, good night Abby, it's time to go to sleep" and she sings "Abby" then I change it to say Mommy and she says "momma" and then Daddy and she screams "dadda" then I let out a big sigh because I'm just happy to hold her and she's being a dream and she sighs right along with me.  Too precious.  The she says "momma" and I say "yeah?" and she gives me a kiss.  Please don't let my heart melt because I love her so much!! 

Full day tomorrow!  Abby to see doctor at 10:45 and me to see doctor at 3:00. 
Nite-Nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment