Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Poor Little Leo

Leo's got the cold.  It started last night with some congestion.  Tonight it is worse. He actually coughs. I didn't know newborns did that.  Abby didn't get her first cold until she was over a year old.  I think that's the difference with second children, they get all the germs from their older siblings.  Preschools are swimming with germs. And with kids who go to school with snotty noses whose parents claim "it's just allergies" or "he's not contagious anymore" etc. etc.  This was one reason why I really loved breastfeeding.  With Abby if I got a cold or there was a cold going around she got my antibodies.  I don't get to do that with Leo.  But at least he is still getting breast milk!!

I was supposed to meet Lily today.  Lily is my neighbor and a fellow SIDS mother.  We have talked many times but haven't met in person (and she lives right down the street!)...hopefully we make that happen next week instead.  I'm not sure if I told you about her but her story is really amazing.  She and her husband lost their precious daughter Kara at 4 months old to SIDS.  She is buried close to Bennett at Hillside Cemetery.  Kara was only a month younger than Ben. It's a sad cruel world.  For us to have to meet like that.  Instead we could have met as neighbors with children the same age if life wasn't so unfair... Flash forward to the present, Leo was born December 17th and 5 days later Lily's adopted daughter Marcelle was born.  Now we get to meet a celebrate our new little blessings.

I sat with Leo in the shower and steam (although I can't figure out how to properly work our steam shower, thanks very much waterworks (waste of money!)) while listening to Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.  He seemed very happy despite his congestion.  He sat there looking at me and then peacefully drifted off to sleep in the warm moist air.

Today my day was great.  I am feeling fine. I woke up later than Abby since I slept with Leo until 7 then had breakfast with Abby.  I was able to walk around organizing the house and finalizing the bills then got Abby ready for her class with Ms. Laura.  Abby's loves Bee Planet and I don't blame her.  It's the most creative class and it's mostly outside.  Lots of exploration.  Plus one of her best friends Harper is in the class.  All I have to do to get her to cooperate is say "do you want to go see Harper?" and then she miraculously lets me change her diaper and her clothes.  Nice.  Tomorrow I will do this same routine but say "do you want to go see Francesca?"  and "do you want to go see Miss Nancy?" and she should let me work my magic.  Oh and tomorrow is exchanging Valentine's at Brentwood Presbyterian.

Anywaaaaaay, we all went to class.  Leo, Abby, me and Agnes.  It worked out fine (except for the final portion of the hike where Abby cried passionately for me to pick her up and I wouldn't).  Life is harder for Abby now with a little brother.  She really is forced to grow up. She doesn't get to be carried around like a baby all the time like she would want.  Her crying is fake most of the time but it sure does seem to be getting more intense.  I feel so bad for her.  I try to make sure we have quality time though when I am with her so she knows how much I do love her.  She's still on the "NO, LEO" kick...

After class, the mattress was delivered and I went to pilates.  It felt great. Had a salad then took a nap. Woke up and hung out with Abby. We went for a walk with the doggies at Francesca's then they ran through the grass and picked dandelions.  It was so precious!   It was nice to be outside and walk a bit too.  I hope I am not too sore tomorrow!!

Tomorrow, ballet class with Christina and Abby gets to see Miss Nancy.  No other plans.  Perhaps another afternoon walk with the doggies. Abby really had a great time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment