Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day! As a reminder I have cancer.  Let's celebrate with candy hearts and lots of chocolates!  Throw roses on the floor and shower me with diamonds. I'm kidding.  Just a little cancer humor to keep things light.

I'm here at Tower Oncology. I'm feeling very sluggish this morning but pushing myself as usual. We got here to Tower and my nurse today, the hilarious and fabulous Mary Lou, hooked me up to my saline drip without the cold spray. Poked and ready to go. Or so I thought...the head Nurse Practitioner Angela just told me that my blood counts came back "borderline" and she doesn't want to push it.  She knows the baby is in the hospital and she thinks that with the baby still in the hospital and everything I have going on that I should take a break this week.  I should be jumping up and down on the chair with joy but I'm not.  I mean, really, who WANTS to have Chemo and who gets disappointed when they can't get their infusion?  Insane, irrational cancer patients like myself I suppose.

Also, I was hungry and thought to order something from Kate Mantilini.  The wonderful Ann Harmsen is here this morning since she picked me up and went to pick up a sandwich for me from there.  I feel tired and wanted some comfort food so she and I selected the "Basil-Lemon chicken breast sandwich with sun-dried tomatoes on grilled rosemary bread with basil aioli".  It looks and smells delicious.  I took a bite and WHOA...salt overload.  I don't eat out much anymore and I can really tell a difference in homemade vs. restaurant food. I still ate half of it of course.  I am hungry and I don't feel all that great so I need some nourishment.  The side of sauteed kale was better and I ate the rest of that while I am waiting for Dr. McAndrew's decision...

Well, I'm a no-go for Chemo this week.  My numbers are too low and Dr. McAndrew feels that I should  take a break and take the opportunity to focus on the baby.  I know it's the best decision but I still feel so conflicted.  I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to fight this tumor but my blood counts aren't within my control.  They are telling me it is Chemo induced and has nothing to do with the exercise, diet or stress of the past week. She also said that if I didn't have a baby in the hospital they would have pushed it.  So...until next week Chemo I bid you adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment