Sunday, February 20, 2011

And now for...

Something completely different...things seem to be getting back to "normal" again.  I say "normal" in quotes because I feel we have this new level of "normal" around here that is NOT in any way normal.  I mean here I am hoping that my blood counts will be good so that I can get Chemo.  Ugh, why do I want to have this stuff pumped into my veins?  Because I want to get better, that's why.  That's what I keep telling myself.  It's why even though I am tired I have exercised AND napped almost every day this week.  I didn't Friday but it was because I didn't have time for a nap and knew I shouldn't press my luck by trying to exercise that day as well.  We'll see what the analysis says tomorrow.  I'm pretty sure it will be all systems go since I'm feeling pretty good.

Leo is doing SOOOOO much better.   His appetite has returned. I've only had to suction his nose a few times, not every feeding like I was before.  Tammy at Dr. Gordon's office gave me a "nosefrida" to suction his nose.  I kid you not, it is marketed as "the nosefrida. the snot sucker." and it really, truly works.  It isn't invasive like the bulb syringes they give you in the hospital and it is powerful since you control the amount of suction.  I get a little winded doing it but Leo doesn't seem to actually mind it. A little saline then suction and voila! Tons of snot. The bulb syringe would make him scream. This one doesn't.  It is much less scary and effective.  Kudos to the Swedes for inventing and marketing such a wonderful tool.  Every mom should have one! I probably sound like a commercial but I am being completely honest here...now go get one.

Abby is also doing better.  She was healthy then went to a class and the next day had a runny nose.  Dr. Gordon said that the thing with RSV is that the symptoms take a long time to go away.  He likened it to a healing scab, sometimes it flakes off and a new scab has to form.  This week it's been green boogars and an on and off runny nose.  I would like us all to get better now please!!  Dr. Gordon has limited all of our social activity.  We can't be around anyone who is remotely sick and we can't take Leo anywhere at all.

I haven't had much time to do things for myself since I either want to be with Abby or Leo or both (or napping or exercising) but I happened to watch the Dr. Oz on Autism.  Now Dr. Oz is supposed to be so insightful and helpful and I am now even more confused about the disorder.  The one thing I will say about it is that the likelihood of having a child with autism increases for woman who get pregnant at age 35 and older.  They also mentioned that women over 35 increasingly have to use fertility drugs to get pregnant.  The same statistics are also true for SIDS cases. Now, I wouldn't take back anything I did to get pregnant with the twins but I have these horrible mixed emotions when it comes to fertility drugs.  It is a huge industry and it helps many families but I think no real studies will be done on the links to SIDS, Autism and the like because no one wants to go there.  Just a random thought I had (which I'm sure won't be too popular when I ask my doctors about it)...

Did I tell you all that Leo is 12 pounds already?  He is so precious.  Cooing up a storm and smiling.  He loves his momma too even though I probably get to spend a 1/4 of my time with him.  Abby will not let me out of her sight so I spend most of my time with her.



Thursday we couldn't go to Miss Nancy's class (sad emoticon) so Agnes took her to the park and I went to my adult ballet class.  Ballet class was great.  There was a 60+ year old woman there who was the epitome of grace.  Beautiful, tall, slender, and clearly a former dancer.  Not only was she decked in gorgeous dance gear she was also in pointe shoes.  Crazy. No, insane! I tried so hard not to stare but I was just in awe of her.  Clearly, I was still the baldest, fattest, least coordinated woman in class but I still don't care.  It was a great class (and oh, by the way, my inner thighs were so sore from battement tendu and changement (don't worry, I had to look up the terms) that I almost couldn't walk Friday, hmmmm, maybe another reason I didn't exercise that day) and afterwards I met Abby and Agnes at the Park.  She was so excited to see me that she was crying and screaming.  Yikes. Then I had to calm her down and try to get her to sit in the car seat. Aggie and I did the "oh, the police officer is going to come and give mommy a ticket...is he coming?" and that worked. We went to California Chicken Cafe for lunch and after we ordered a Santa Monica police officer walked in and was waiting in line to order.  I asked Abby if she wanted to say hello to the police officer and she was super excited.  He was super nice. I told him that I was just telling Abby that she has to sit in the car seat in the car because it is the law and he kneeled down and told her "you have to sit in your car seat because it keeps you safe, okay?" and she looked at him with huge eyes and slowly nodded her head up and down.  I have never seen her is such awe.

Two minutes later a fireman and firewoman walked in.  I said, "Oooooh, Abby look at the fire man!"  She saw the red truck outside (it was a paramedic fire truck) and she looked at it and said "Red, Whoooo, Whoooo" (that's what a firetruck sounds like using my own onomatopoeia) and then she says "Abby Berman, Abby Berman" as she read the "Los Angeles Fire Department Paramedic Ambulance" sign - anytime she sees writing without photos she thinks it says her name "Abby Berman" since that's what we write for her all the time on restaurant paper tablecloths and writing pads...Anyway, Aggie made the perfect joke that we should take a photo but all that was missing was a doctor.  We had a policeman, a fireman, but no doctor...Too funny.  Abby had a blast though.  That was a special moment with her.  She is growing up so fast!

Lots of other stuff happened this week but it's too much detail.  For the most part it was all about healing and getting the family healthy including myself.  I am feeling pretty good. I jogged yesterday and today with Abby.  We went to the farmer's market for all kinds of fresh fruit and veggies that we will use in my new Vitamix blender to make healthy smoothies.  We also went to Ninjaya, the japanese market for lots of cool stuff including pasta shaped like Hello Kitty.  Ridiculous!  I made the sauce to soak my black miso cod and later this week I am going to make miso soup, the real way with dried sardines...ha!!

On a side note, I figured out how to get Abby to sit in the stroller long enough so that I can run for a half hour. She hates the stroller.  She has never been a stroller girl, she just can't sit still. She would rather walk around herself. Anyway, I pulled out the old portable DVD player with her little kiddie headphones and she sits there perfectly in the Bob.  I AM A GENIUS!  Except for today when I thought I charged it but then didn't and so the stupid thing wouldn't work and she's screaming for Elmo...thankfully Ashley came with us and let Abby use her iPhone with Super Dance and Veggietales.  I guess I better get an iPhone, or as my sister Lindsey put it earlier today...an iBabysitter.



Fingers crossed for good blood counts tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment