Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hitting the Emotional Wall

Saturday was are really rough day.  I really hate hormones.  That's what I'm blaming it on. Although I did have to look up post-partum depression.  I mean, really. I'm like the classic case - anxiety, irritation, tearfulness, restlessness; but I'm sure they don't qualify it with people who are also dealing with a new baby, a clingy toddler and breast cancer.  Of course I'm going to feel that way.  Who else is dealing with everything I have on my plate?!?!?!  


It's so weird for me to go back and read my last post. I was feeling so upbeat.  Saturday, not so. Not so at all.  And today not so much either for different reasons. I am really having a low period right now. I'm dealing with incredible disappointment. I am sick and tired of being disappointed by people and events.  It seems like the disappointments just keep growing.


Last week my housekeeper tells me that a friend of mine that I introduced her to for work one day a week had tried to poach her from us a couple of months ago. She tells me my friend and her husband offered her to live-in, make more money, get her a car with insurance, etc. etc. and were really putting the full court press on her apparently.  She even said the whole family was really encouraging her to take it but even though she felt a lot of pressure she said no. Yikes. Compared to the two days a week she works for us plus the other families she works for during the week it sounds like a much better opportunity...but the more I thought about it the more pissed I got. Then it started to get me depressed. 

Anyway, the only reason it came out now was because I was looking for weekend help (since Roxana quit).  Our housekeeper works for us Mondays and Fridays so I asked if she could switch some days (either ours or some others) so that she could work for us on weekends; she takes the bus all the way downtown so I figured it would work out great, since she could just stay here and not worry about traveling back and forth each day. At first she was excited and said no problem but then she told me that she now also works for the friend Saturdays too for a "few hours". She asks me to talk to my friend about it.  It turned into this whole process of trying to get everyone on board. As if I don't have enough to coordinate. So the friend tells me that she wants to be helpful BUT they really need someone 2x per week... they will TRY to make it work with one BUT if it doesn't it even thought it would make them very sad they would have to get a new cleaning woman. That's not a resounding, "whatever you need!" or "we'll figure something out" Instead, it was a muddled maybe riddled with guilt. At the end of the day, the friend basically told me it's the housekeeper's decision not hers to make. Really?  If the situation were reversed I would have encouraged my housekeeper to take Saturdays off and go work for my friend who was sick.  But that's just me.

And then it really started to bother me...she tried to hire our housekeeper away from us. I mean, cancer or not when would it have ever have been OK to do that?  Especially when we introduced her to you in the first place?  I realized then and there that she doesn't care about me. She's not a friend. That couldn't have been made any more clear than when she tried to hire her away. When I commented to the friend that I knew about her trying to poach the housekeeper she told me she "would have discussed it with me first".  Ummmm, Nooooo.  No she didn't.  She made the offer first. She put the full court press on her to accept first. And what if she would have said yes?  There wouldn't have been a discussion. She would have just TOLD me that our housekeeper "made a decision" to come work for her full time.  Right?

All that being said our housekeeper decided she doesn't want anyone to be unhappy so she wants to keep working for everyone just like she was before. So yeah, I was disappointed by that.  Disappointed in our housekeeper for not stepping up to help us on weekends. Disappointed in the "friend" for not stepping up now and for her previous attempt to steal our housekeeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment