Monday, December 13, 2010

It's the final countdown

Cue...cheesy "Europe" music here... The Final Countdown


What a weekend.  What a hell of a week.  I've been interviewing nannies to no avail.  Had two trials with two different nannies.  They were both okaaaaay. I feel like I'm settling since Dolores was a good fit but nonetheless...the first woman we had a trial with decided to accept a janitorial job at a museum with good benefits (I get that, we're not offering health care) and the second woman who was my 3rd choice (as David has told me I am now trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole) came for a trial Saturday and even though she was a little too chatty, she seemed to do fine with Abby, knew her way around Brentwood for errands and cooked well, at the end of the trial she started asking questions like “I’m only going to be responsible for the baby, right? "Do I have to make lunches too?" "Do I get paid holidays and vacation?" "How many breaks do I get during the day?" and then "I can’t work late on Mondays or Fridays” etc. etc.  She then proceeded to tell me that she wanted $20 an hour.  That was the final straw.  I don’t need someone who is going to negotiate from the get go (especially after just dealing with negotiations with our live-in - another issue that is bothering me).  Doesn’t set a good foundation.  AND isn’t the whole point of working with an agency that they you send candidates who understand what the job entails and the hourly wage is at a minimum?  I feel like I’ve wasted another week when I don’t have time to waste.  I should be resting....ugh.


Another agency that my friend Brynie referred us to sent me a great candidate that will do a trial today.  She is Peruvian and a little firecracker.  I think it could be a good fit.  I need someone who isn't afraid to take charge and who can also set a better example of proactive work ethic that Roxana can learn from.  Elizabeth, our wonderful housekeeper, is the best in that regard.  She is super proactive, organized and anticipates needs even before I ask her anything.  We'll see how it goes today.  I would love more than anything to be done and have someone who can get integrated before Peanut arrives.


Other than that fiasco, I've been having some contractions but just on and off.  Baby is coming Friday, the 17th.  St. John's 1pm....YIKES!!  Getting excited and anxious at the same time. 


Oh our friend Tunde came over Saturday with his 3 1/2 month old daughter and I was holding her and let me tell you it did not go over well with Miss Abby.  Oh no.  Her response was "No momma.  No Baby, no baby" repeatedly.  I then put her in the chair with me and we both held the baby. Then she rubbed her belly but then went for the face and so I told her we don't touch baby faces or eyes. Just bellys and feet.  Kind of worked.  Then I continued to hold baby Pia and she wasn't happy.  David said I was pushing it of course and testing her, which of course he's right, but it was a good thing to see her reaction.  Perhaps she'll have a better response with Peanut though since she knows he's coming.


Well, we picked a name for Peanut.  I'm not sure if I should post it though.  We've been calling him his name for a couple weeks now and it's stuck.  Abby points to my belly and calls him his name too.  And when we go in his room we say this is "X's" room. X is your baby brother...I'm hoping this all will help.  Plus I bought her a baby lion and Ashley bought her a baby lion and she has named him X and walks around with them saying his name.  I'm hoping that helps somewhat too.  If not, with the cadre of help around I plan to spend more time with Abby than Peanut except during feedings for a while until she adjusts.  "No Baby momma, no baby!!"  Ha ha ha.


Abby had a wonderful birthday parties at her toddler groups at Brentwood Pres Thursday and at Wilshire Boulevard Temple on Friday.


Holy crap, just got a reminder that I have an appt. at Dr. Daly's right NOW in ten minutes and I haven't showered or changed or anything.  Will post more in a bit.  BYE!!!





1 comment:

  1. Abby will love Peanut, don't worry. It will be an adjustment at first, but when she realizes he's not going anywhere, she will embrace him. Lindy bit Lucy's toe the first week she was home! Now she takes such good care of her, it is heart-warming!

    ReplyDelete