Monday, August 29, 2011

Walking Fool

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. I have been walking, walking, and walking.  Like they said about Forrest Gump being a "running fool" I have become a "walking fool'... I am getting serious about training for this Avon Walk.  Last week I bought my pedometer so I can figure out how much I walk in a normal day just doing errands, chasing after Abby, etc. etc.  That was about 2-3 miles a day.  Then I started walking with David up Westridge first. That is a haul. I love living in our Canyon. It is so darn beautiful. It is about 2.5 miles up to the top of the Westridge Trail Head from our house (that is straight up), I wish the pedometer would include the incline factor but I digress... I started out doing that. The 5 miles then became exploring the random streets in the Upper Westridge Area and then I walked about 6.5 miles one day.  I'm building up each day. I wish it wasn't so darn hot though...makes training tough.

The day I walked 6.5 miles (in addition to my 2 miles of regular walking) was pretty hot by the time I finally got out to walk. When I was almost home I noticed that my left hand was swollen.  Oh that freaked me out big time.  Since the surgery I have been worried about lymphedema. I haven't had any swelling except for the first day of radiation but that went away quickly.  I've only had to deal with "cording" in my arm. They say older, heavier women get lymphedema and younger, more active women get cording. The physical therapist told me before I left for Jackson Hole that I should wear the lymphedema sleeve and glove both while traveling and while doing any rigorous exercise.  Bullshit I said.  That was an old "rule" suggested by the National Lymphedema network.  The new rules are actually now called "guidelines" since they now agree that everyone is different and not everyone will have a reaction to certain situations.

I love my lymphatic drainage massage therapist Lisa. She told me that I should feel free to test out breaking a rule (like jacuzzi's or massages or lifting weights) gradually to see if I have any reaction.  She said the body will give you feedback and then you'll know what you can and can't do. Anyway, there I was in the hot sun up Westridge looking at my swollen hand. After hyperventilating a bit thinking that my arm would start to swell up like an elephant's leg I took a few deep breaths and calmed myself.  I sat on the curb and gathered myself and my thoughts.  Then I wet my finger and squeezed off my wedding ring.  Then I noticed that my other hand was swollen too.  Ahhhhh. It had nothing to do with lymphedema.  It was probably a reaction to the heat.  I'm going to continue training and just be very cautious about pushing my limits. I can't imagine having to wear that sleeve and glove while working out.  Sheesh. That would really dampen my style.

Saturday I went to ballet!  What a glorious morning.  I am still terrible at it but I love it. It is the most difficult work out. If you do ballet CORRECTLY it is the most challenging activity you can do. I actually did well when we came to center to dance this time. Holy cow. I'm improving every day.

Sunday I decided to do a longer walk.  I walked 6 miles and then a ton more at the farmer's market and at the beach with Abby for a total of 9.5 miles yesterday.  I had to take a NAP.  I was exhausted.  Part of it I'm sure are the 5-FU chemo pills.  I just don't care.  I want to do this. I want to push myself. There are other benefits of the push to exercise as well...I am building my endurance and energy to be able to be with the kids. I don't need to take naps (unless I've done a ton of walking or exercise) and the I'm getting back to my fighting weight and shape.  The LBs are just melting off.

In other news. I have some BIG news.  My walker coordinator at Avon was inspired by my story and shared it with her team. I have been asked to be a speaker at the walk!! I am the ONLY survivor speaking at the Closing ceremonies.  There are only FIVE speakers total...this is HUGE. What an unbelievable honor.  I had my interview with the Event Producer last week and he is going to script my speech for me. How fancy nancy.  Then I got a call today from the Avon Foundation PR team and they wanted to know if I would feel comfortable sharing my story with reporters and TV crews prior to and at the walk.  Of course!!  I am not ashamed in any way to have this disease. I am not ashamed to share the details of this process and no one else diagnosed with cancer should be either.

I am very, very excited.  We'll rent a house on Carpenteria state beach and bring the whole family up.  I want to take the train with Abby.  Oh how fun and special this will be!!

Thank you all for your support!
Lots of love,
Jess




No comments:

Post a Comment