Tuesday, August 16, 2011

JLTD Baby...

Two days ago while sitting in the jacuzzi at the Amangani (am now currently OBSESSED with any and all things Aman Resort related) a kid was talking to another kid (I say that loosely because he was probably early twenties but since I am now MID-thirties I can rightfully say that) about taking a break from his summer job and as he gestured out towards the majestic view said "JLTD Baby...JLTD". As in "Just Living The Dream"...and I had to bite my lip to keep from bellowing with laughter.  But I have to agree with the kid. I was definitely living the dream on our Jackson Hole vacation.

What a fabulous trip we had. Just in passing, we approached the weekend with a "why not" and "when in Rome" attitude.  We stayed at the most amazing resort in the most amazing town.  I feel completely disgusted with myself for being a spoiled brat when I say the following statement...we went to lunch at the Four Seasons in Teton Village to check out the competition and sped away as fast as we could afterwards to get back to the Amangani.  Best service we have ever experienced.  I cannot wait to go to the Amangiri in the fall.  (I'm sure David is cringing at that statement since he saw the bill at check out but...even he was blown away by the whole experience).

As part of our "why not" attitude we did several long hikes to see the sights and the views, 90 minute massages in the spa (If you ever go you must request "Dayva" - best massage ever and I'm not just saying "best" like I have turret's or something), relaxed in the jacuzzi outside with a view overlooking the Grand Tetons each evening with a glass of wine, ferried across Jenny Lake for a hike, rode horses each day, visited Kelly Warm Springs and the Gros Ventre "Landslide" (you could skip that), and had wonderful food the whole time.  The restaurant at the Amangani was so good that we cancelled our reservation in town at Il Villagio Osteria to dine at the resort another night (they had a vegetarian menu that was unbelievable). As far as restaurants go we did enjoy "The Kitchen" too!  So all that being said, we were living the dream and THEN the Weekend Wall Street Journal had an article on Jackson Hole and then we just HAD to add a few more to-do's on our list.  The next day we paraglided in the morning and then white water rafted down the Snake River.  UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Here is a quick flip video that David shot of me as I did some "tricks" in the glider. The funniest part is David's commentary. David, who I am very proud of for going at all since he gets motion sickness, saw what I was doing and then decided he should try it too.  He did one rocking motion though and then decided to just slowly glide back down instead.  He says "Holy crap, what is she doing...look at that...WOW." Anyway, I loved it. But I'm kind of a dare devil.  Especially with my new "why not" attitude!  You only live once my friends so make it work and make it count.  Do what you love and try anything once.


After paragliding David couldn't eat.  I scarfed down some breakfast then we headed over to do our white water rafting expedition.  We were in an "8 man boat" with just the instructor and three of us. That means way more work for the three of us.  Our guide Josh was a lot of fun...he kept telling us all the things we had to do if we fell in or the boat turned over, etc. etc. in a whole list of things that could potentially go wrong.  Long story short, we were doing great then we crossed the "Big Kahuna" rapid and he almost fell out of the boat. Here's the frames in order so you can see for yourself.  We were busy paddling so we didn't even notice that he was tossed up out of his seat and slammed face first into the boat.  Hilarious.  OMG. He barely got himself and his oars back into position before we crossed the second largest rapid.  Grilled Cheesus that was close.  After all that I "rode the bull" where I sat at the tip of the boat, held onto a rope and "rode" the rapids and waves like one would a bull.  The woman in the other party fell backward into the boat after two waves.  I'll toot my own horn by saying I rode it for about seven or eight full waves. I am now a professional thrill seeker - NOT!!!


We had such an awesome time creating new memories and reconnecting with each other.  We both couldn't wait to get back and see the kids though.  Home sweet home.

In other news, I wore my lymphedema sleeve and glove on the flight and NO swelling to report after traveling.  I was nervous it would react. I was also nervous that it would react to so much strenuous activity but my arm is doing great.  Once again, I would like to honor my body and its miraculous strength and vigor.  I am tired and sore but I love that feeling.  To know that I was able to do such active things after such a crazy ordeal makes me very happy and very hopeful for the future.  Guess I'll be able to ski this season...

No comments:

Post a Comment