Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Doing the Walk!

SOME UPDATES:
1) Still tired but making the time to walk everyday (um, except today I didn't because I went to physical therapy for the cording in my arm instead...)
2) The walking and hiking takes time that I could either be a) be with the kids or b) be resting my body.
3) Have decided to try to incorporate one kid or the other into the walking. Abby isn't so great at sitting in the stroller still, even with Rio playing on her portable DVD player...she wants to get out and walk towards the end. (Um, not great).  Leo on the other hand. Perfect walking partner. SHHHHHH, don't tell Abby I said that or I'm in HUGE trouble!!!  She is still pretty jealous where Leo is concerned.
4) I listened to the message from my oncologist's office randomly and realized that I was supposed to be taking 2000 mg of Xeloda not the 1000 mg per day like I was taking during radiation.  Crap. I called McAndrew's office and confirmed that was the case.  That freaked me out twofold - a) how the heck am I going to feel on 2000 mg a day (that's 2 pills 2x per day, morning and evening) and b) would me not having taken them correctly effect my results.  UGH.  Anyway, I'm still off for the next seven days but then I restart again to take the 2000 mg for 14 days again.
5) Have to go get my stupid lupron shot tomorrow.
6) I have noticed that the chemo pills seem to be effecting two things a) my teeth (gums bleeding easily like they do when I'm pregnant and we all know I'm not pregnant since it isn't possible when my ovaries are being ablated into oblivion and b) my bones (I could be imagining it but my bones seem a little more fragile, like if I accidentally step on my ankle funny it doesn't seem to support my body like it use to). I'll have to talk to McAndrew about this all when I see her on the 19th.  I am supposed to get clearance for the Zomeda shot (shot to help my bones) but they keep delaying it. WTH?
7) Icky hot flashes at night. Yippee for me!
8) Hollywood Bowl Thursday night then early Friday morning flight to Jackson Hole and the Amangani. Very excited to take this well deserved "time out"... Next month the Amangiri. Woo hoo!
9)  I've started my fundraising for the Avon Walk.  I am so amazed by all the support. There are those that are supporting me financially and those that are actually walking with me. I am thrilled!! (and nervous).  THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!
10) I need a team name for the walk. Please post your team names in comments. Here's a few I've heard so far - you'll see why I need some major help here!!!

  • walkers for knockers (this is taken though - darn it!!!)
  • got mammaries?
  • rack n' roll
  • titty trust
  • ta-ta triage
  • bosom buddies
  • breast friends
  • finish or "bust"


Finally, here is my fundraising email:
Dear Friends and Loved Ones,
I have rightfully “slacked off”.  But now…I need your help. 
I have committed to raise major clams for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. 
First I said I was doing it -  then I said I wasn’t…because I was “TOO TIRED” from fighting cancer. 
Well that’s a quitter’s attitude and I’m NO quitter.
I am going to walk as much as I can of the 26.2 miles and be proud and honored that I am ABLE to do so. 
To quote racing enthusiast John Bingham - "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."
Please click on the link below to help the cause. 
Generous contributions seriously welcome. But $20 is helpful too.
Forwarding this email is very much encouraged and appreciated.
Thanks to those of you who have already contributed!
Much love,
Jess
Jess’ Avon Walk Page - Donate Now

General Information  - www.avonwalk.org
 
Here's the info from my walk page:

I'M WALKING TO PUT A FORK IN IT!!!

I'm flying by the seat of my pants. I haven't trained. I've just finished radiation. I'm still taking 5-FU chemo pills...but I'm almost done with the hard parts. I'm getting close to finishing my "year of hell" in killing this disease. I want to walk to celebrate the end of my treatment but I also want to walk for all the women before me who have been trail blazers and courageous warriors. Like Sharon and Annie. And for all the women who are going to be diagnosed with this dreaded disease. 
Breast cancer is a big disease, one that still affects far too many people, and I'm determined to do everything I can to help put an end to it. The money I raise will be managed and disbursed by the Avon Foundation Breast Cancer Crusade to help provide access to care for those that most need it, fund educational programs, and accelerate research into new treatments and potential cures. I'll be just one of thousands of people that will walk up to a marathon and a half over a weekend, raising awareness of the cause and educating even more people. 

I can't do it without your help. Though I'm required to raise at least $1,800 in donation, I plan to raise much more, my goal is $5,000! WINNING!!!

I hope that I can count on your support.
You can make a donation to my fundraising campaign right here on the website by clicking on the pink "Donate Now" button. 

As I prepare for this exciting event, I plan to update this page frequently so that all my supporters can follow my progress, so please visit often. While you're here, you might want to spend some time on the site to find out more information on why this event is so important, and the organizations and people that will be helped by the money we all raise. 
All my love,
Jess

Important U.S. Facts About Breast Cancer

  • Approximately 178,480 women and 2,030 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year
  • 40,460 women and 450 men in the U.S. will die from the disease annually.
  • There are over 2 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S. who have been treated for breast cancer
  • Every 3 minutes, there is a new diagnosis of invasive breast cancer
  • There are more than 250,000 women under the age of 40 in the U.S living with breast cancer, and over 11,000 will be diagnosed this year
  • A woman has a 1 in 8 chance of developing breast cancer in her lifetime
  • Every 13 minutes, a life is lost to breast cancer
  • White, non-Hispanic women are more likely to develop breast cancer but African-American women are more likely to die from it.
  • Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer among Hispanic women and is the leading cause of cancer deaths among this group.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,
    About the team name:
    How about...............ONE LUMP OR TWO?
    OK, that's stupid.
    Just want to let you know that Lin & I are rooting for you. Hang tough.


    Love, great uncle Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, I thought that you decided to walk next year instead of this one. Let me know if you are walking 2011 and I will plan to come down and cheer! Love, Olivia

    ReplyDelete