Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Are you kidding me?!

I'm going to get down to brass tacks. I got an evening phone call from Tower Hematology...on the line calling for me was Philomena McAndrew, my oncologist herself, at 8:30 at night. She called to talk about my blood work that I had asked about at my last appointment this past Friday 9/28...So last Friday I went in for my 3 month Lupron injection and my infusion of Zometa and the whole way there I was anxious, angry, and scared. I feel like I had too long away from the oncologist's office and I suppose I got spoiled being away, you know, enjoying some freedom off the cancer leash. Things were going good, I'm feeling stronger every day and things are slowly getting back to a somewhat more manageable pace. I just finished the Avon Walk and have been back at ballet full force...plus kid classes, school pick up and drop off, and looking for a new house...(that'll be another update).

McAndrew said my tumor markers are up; double from my last full blood work up from June. I have to get scans (PET/CT and bone scan) right away. I don't get it. I mean, seriously, HUH?!?!?!? I already had my breast MRI scheduled for this coming Monday, the 8th...

I just looked up that breast cancer most often metastasises into the following areas lungs, liver and bones. She asked if I had any symptoms but I don't. She said my liver functions were all good. So that sounds promising. She asked if I had a cough? No...no, I don't. I don't have a cough. I did when the kids got sick and their cold ran through the house and it took a good three weeks for mine to go away but it is now gone. So that also sounds hopeful. I asked her if it could just be an anomaly. She said it was possible but she wants me to get the scans as soon as possible.

I think I'm going to take a valium. WTF.

Except I am home alone with the kids. Maybe half an Ambien so I can sleep? I don't think I can meditate my way out of this one. I feel a little overwhelmed in my big fat head.

I feel like my body is betraying me.
I feel like perhaps my body wants to throw in the towel but my mind and my heart do not.
I have to keep fighting.
I have to keep taking care of myself.
I need to stay healthy.
I want to live.


I will start to do things better. 
Maybe this is a wake up call.

I have been bad about taking my tamoxifen regularly.
So I just took my tamoxifen and my nighttime remifemin (a natural herbal supplement to help with the side effects of the anti-estrogen therapy).

I washed my face, put on my moisturizers, brushed my teeth...The dentist has been on my back about not flossing my teeth enough. So I just did that too.

Those are the things I CAN DO. I know that worrying about what may happen won't help so I'm going to keep the status quo and rock on. Keep Calm and Carry On. 




3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about you since you posted this, and hoping so much this is just a weird "anomaly" as you said. Will keep you in my thoughts until your next update -- you're in such good hands with Dr. McA and Tower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It never feels good when Philomena calls... I'm getting the bone scan today and breast MRI Monday, PET/CT Tuesday... I feel so healthy so I have faith that it is nothing. Thank you for your comments I feel so supported!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Jessica -- I always forget to sign my name, it's Sandra. Hope all these tests are NEGATIVE. Your feeling of health is a good sign...the people I know who have ended up with mets knew something was wrong; they could feel it. Ah, yes, the late night calls from Philomena.......

    ReplyDelete