Friday, April 27, 2012

Being Bald

If you are going to go through Chemo I suggest taking control by cutting your hair ultra short like a pixie. Then if it falls out it will be less noticeable at first and it will accumulate slower as it falls it. Once it starts to really fall out in clumps, it is over. Just shave your head. You'll be so glad that you did. And you'll look and feel bad-ass (even though your scared deep down).  You are a warrior. Don't forget it.

Here are things I did to stop the itchy, cradle cap from forming on my head:

  1. Get a surgeon's brush (make that two or three) from your local hospital. I had some that I took from the hospital after giving birth to Leo. They are soft plastic that won't scrub your scalp too much, just enough so that you get the skin to flake off gently. You could also use those large nail brushes that are sold at the drug stores.  I did dry brushing with the nail brush often when my hair started falling out but only AFTER I had shaved my head. 
  2. Use sunscreen. Seriously. Even though you may be wearing a hat, scarf, etc. you still need to rub your scalp with some sunscreen since your scalp probably hasn't seen the light of day since you were an infant. What would you do with a sunburnt scalp??  You'd cry.  Don't do it.  And while you're at it it is best to sunscreen your ears and neck too since your hair formerly protected those areas.
  3. Moisturize - keep it well lubricated, soft and supple.  It will flake off. I used to stand over the sink with my nail brush, rub the bristles over my scalp to fluff off the dead skin flakes. It would literally look like snow in my sink.  Then I would shower, wash the scalp, then moisturize before bed.
  4. Be gentle. Use gentle products like Mustela Newborn infant foaming shampoo or Aveeno baby shampoos. It really helped me. Use gentle moisturizers. After your shower, moisturize your scalp when you are moisturizing your body. 
  5. Buy breathable hats. Cotton. Some silk blends. No wool. No polyester. It will bake your head and make you itch, itch, itch. The American Cancer Society has nice breathable cotton hats that are actually pretty cute. I also liked the style of hats that covered my neck as well.
As always, be gentle with yourself. Your scalp is precious. The hair will grow back. Ain't no big thing. Alright? It's just hair. 



No comments:

Post a Comment