Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Thirty Six

Everyday is a blessing. Today is my birthday and I am so thankful to celebrate it. Last night I was treated to the most amazing dinner (four course vegan tasting menu) at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant at the Hotel Bel-Air with a bottle of Araujo Alta Gracia. Thank you to my wonderful husband. Tonight I have dinner with some girlfriends at a new restaurant I haven't tried. I love trying new places!

Over the past week my littlest brother was kicked out of his living situation and he came here to stay with us.  We have a big house but we have a lot on our plates too. It was very stressful over the past week. I want so badly to help him, he has no job, was studying for his high school diploma and budget cuts closed the school, and he was living with a friend since my parents lost their home and had to short sale. I do firmly believe that G-d helps those that help themselves but he just doesn't know how to get out from under himself. He has so much anxiety and fear about what may possibly happen that he can't focus on the right now. He needs someone to hold his hand a little bit to give him some confidence. David is worried that I will just enable him more. It really is walking a delicate line. Last night David agreed to let him stay with us for the month of May while I help him sort things out. I also know that should it get too stressful I will have to give him walking papers.

Meanwhile he has been very helpful to me with the kids, the dogs and dinner. It's nice to have an extra set of hands around especially since we last our main nanny last week. Oh, I forgot to mention that.  She went to work for Leo's physical therapist as a PT Assistant. It was all very sad since the kids loved her and she was with us during the most challenging time.  My mom has been filling in with extra days and one of our old summer sitters is filling in with two days to give my mom a break. It has been a whirlwind of a couple weeks while I figured that out plus trying to do the ISR swim lessons Monday through Friday after school pick-up with both kids. Oy. Oy. Oy.

I was very lonely that week prior with David traveling so much and so busy (trying to find a nanny) that I couldn't interact with anyone except the kids or my mom. I felt that I didn't have much time to myself either and that was really hard. My brother coming to stay with us was timed pretty well.

I also got into the MAPS study at UCLA, which is the mindfulness awareness research study for young breast cancer survivors. There is growing scientific evidence that meditation can heal the body and prevent disease. I went Thursday and after 15 minute EKG and 9 vials of blood I was admitted to the program. I am ecstatic! Plus it will be one class a week for 6 weeks at night with about seven or eight other young breast cancer survivors. It isn't a support group but it is always nice to talk to people who can related to the hell of treatment and the aftermath of it all as you try to regain the "new normal".

This morning I had my special work out with David. He'll kill me for typing that but the day started out so nice and the kids have slept in too which they never do.  No matter what this day will bring I am grateful for my health, to be with my family, to have friends and supporters and to be here celebrating one more year on the beautiful planet. Happy birthday to me!!

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday Jessica! We're living parallel lives in the sibling dept--my younger sis is coming to live with me "a while". Enjoy your birthday-- you deserve an awesome day!
    Adriana

    ReplyDelete