Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I did it...

I walked 13.1 miles Saturday and another 13.1 miles Sunday...looking back two days later it didn't seem that hard to do.  Really. I really felt I could have done more on the first day but I'm also glad I didn't. I have learned that my brain and my body do not communicate so well.


The only hard part about stopping was leaving to go get massages afterwards at the Biltmore, whose spa just happened to be on the walk route. I'm laying there having my feet and legs blissfully massaged and other Walkers were reaching their mile 21 in their full marathon distance.  Made me feel guilty (but also a a little smart too)... Thank you to my college pal Olivia for taking me into the 13 and 13 and for the helpful hint of second skin (that was a foot saver for major blister prevention).  Family waiting at the finish line is pretty strong motivation!


I am so grateful to the members of "Team Wonder Women" - I could not have done this without you. Even though I know I "threatened" that I would be just fine to walk by myself if any of them flaked out on me, none of them did. I love you guys! Vizhier, Lindsey and Ashley - you seriously rock. You kept me hydrated, motivated and most of all entertained on the marathon. With lines like "OMG. When I woke up from my FOUR hour nap this afternoon the only part of my body I could move were my eyes" and to a pair of older women donning matching hot pink newsboy caps, pink back packs with pink monkeys and rhinestone flair..."Oh, look how cute they are...they're sisters!" ---- My sister (beside me) and I then look at each other laughing and say "Oh, wait...we're sisters too!" and "Don't shit on your tampon string and then complain when people say you stink"...and "Avon Walk 2011, it's the Tits!"

I cannot even tell you how many word puns regarding breasts, boobies, ta-tas, tits, tittys...need I go on, there were this past weekend. And wacky outfits. And outrageous slogans. It was fun. Santa Barbara was just gorgeous and the weather was just perfect.  We're planning on having try outs for additions to Team Wonder Women for next year's walk.
Several people have been requesting copies of my speech. Here are the two speeches - the first at the route opening and the second at closing ceremonies.  It is better to hear me tell the story (I think...) so I am posting it in the next post (it's a large file so I am having problems uploading!)
OPENING:
Good morning.
I’ve come to walk my first Avon Walk to celebrate and share my story of survival.  When I learned that I had breast cancer, I thought it had to be a mistake.  I had no family history, was young, healthy and 6 months pregnant. But it wasn’t a mistake. And it started me on one of the toughest journeys of my life.  This morning, as I prepare to walk as far as I possibly can with all of you, I’m happy to say that my husband David, my daughter Abby and my 9-month old miracle baby Leo will all be here to watch me cross the finish line.
Because no matter how far I walk, I will cross that finish line tomorrow.   I will continue to survive.
My name is Jessica Berman, from Los Angeles, California, and I’m a five month breast cancer survivor. I’m in it to end it for me, for my daughter, and for every other person fighting breast cancer, everywhere.
CLOSING:
Good afternoon fellow walkers, crew, family and friends.  My name is Jessica Berman, from Los Angeles, California, and I am a 5-month breast cancer survivor. 
My uncle is a marathon runner and I’ve always been fascinated by the idea of taking on such a physically and mentally challenging journey.  I’ve never run 26.2 miles, but my life has certainly been a journey that’s required endurance, perseverance and unending support.  
When I got the stunning diagnosis of stage 3c breast cancer, I honestly thought that the universe was out to get me.  I was 34, had no family history and was one of the healthiest people I knew.  I had a one and a half year old girl, Abby, and was six months pregnant.  This after suffering the loss of Abby’s twin brother Bennett to SIDS the year before. 
But as bad as all this was, I learned the universe was not out to get me.  I carried baby Leo full term and our little miracle is here with me today with my husband and my daughter.  I whole-heartedly believe that my diagnosis woke me up to living. I now know how every day of life is a gift.  It’s not the years in your life, but the life in your years, right?  And I have so much love and support from my family, my friends, my medical team and fellow survivors, like you, who are such an inspiration of strength and bravery.
The best advice I got when I was diagnosed was that battling breast cancer is like a marathon.  Just when you think you’re getting to the end, you’ve got more to go. Just when you think your body and spirit will give up, you find a way to keep going. And you need just as much support at mile 1 as you do at mile 26.
As I prepare to finish my treatments, the Avon Walk is my mile 26.   Preparing for this weekend kept me going when times were hard, because I knew that thousands of people would be here to support people like me – and to unite for this cause.    When I crossed that finish line today I started the next phase of my life with my family.   Now I feel like cancer is behind us…and lots of adventures are ahead.  I may not have run a marathon – yet – but I walked 26.2 miles and raised more than $25,000 in the fight against breast cancer.
I’ve been through a lot in my life, but I can honestly say that I feel lucky.  I don’t mourn the life I had before in the “old” normal. Instead I am embracing this “new” normal because I am so very thankful to be here, to see my kids grow and thrive, to see my body miraculously dealing with all the drugs I am taking yet still allowing me to feel great. I do something every day to make my life worthwhile.  I’ve survived the marathon of breast cancer. And like all of you, I came here this weekend to help make sure that others who are not as lucky get their chance to become survivors too.  Because people need help, right here in our neighborhoods.  And the money we’ve raised this weekend will go a long way to helping men and women cross their own finish lines and survive.
To tell us more about how the funds we’ve raised will be put to work right here, right now, please welcome the President of the Avon Foundation for Women, Carol Kurzig.

2 comments:

  1. Bahahaha-you forgot "oh man, I just wanted some raisin brannnnn"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job, congrats! Great speech, too. Chokes me up. I'm headed to the Biltmore in Nov, love that place! xoxo

    ReplyDelete