Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Attempt #3 Thursday

I'm still in digging deep mode, staying motivated to get this next infusion. I've had two failed attempts last week. I went to acupuncture to help with my platelets. Monday - platelets were 69 then on Friday they were 56...oops, WRONG direction. I'm trying again this Thursday. The neupogen shot did bring up my white counts but the platelets need to be at least 90. Fingers crossed.

I'm fasting this week. I started yesterday. I'm not doing the L-Nutra fast. I'm actually doing the protocol from the actual NCI study which is a starvation study. 2 days before chemo, day of chemo, and 1 day after. I can't have more than 200 calories. Yesterday I didn't make it. I had two cups of vegan soup, one at lunch and one at dinner which were 75 calories. Then I was way too hungry at bedtime to even think of falling asleep so I had 10 almonds, which is about 100 calories.  I'm hoping the rest of the week will be easier!!

The protocol for the infusions are changing as well. Dr. McAndrew is switching me to one week on and one week off in hopes that my blood counts can recover and we don't have to delay treatment. I will be getting another PET/CT or liver MRI (ugh) at the end of two months of treatment, NOT after 6 infusions like I previously thought, due to the delays in treatment. She wants to stay on top of the progression and make sure this is going away. The good news is my tumor markers are indicating that they are working. The bad news, other than how I feel and my damn blood counts, is that the liver mapping procedure doubled my tumor markers. All the banging and shoving and resulting inflammation jumped the CA 15-3 from 772 to 1280 (normal range is 0-42.0!!!) and the CEA from 377 to 624 (normal range is 0-5.0). This needs to get under control. It is totally unacceptable in my mind. I'm fasting and I'm going to get my infusion on Thursday. Goodbye tumors. You suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment