Sunday, April 27, 2014

Insurance nightmares...


I found out Friday after I left chemo that insurance has DENIED my radio-embolization procedure. This week Dr. Friedman will be having a Peer-to-peer discussion with the MD at the insurance company to attempt to reverse the decision. (By the way, this happened before when I tried to get in-home physical therapy approved for Leo's cerebral palsy; they had some random MD of internal medicine making a judgement about something specific regarding cerebral palsy..how does that make sense?!?!) Dr. Friedman is also armed with information from the Siri-spheres company and Cedars Sinai. I will see if Philomena can put in a letter of support as well. I will also be calling the insurance company to find out WHY in all their wisdom (*cough, cough) they have decided to deny the procedure. Just how BAD do the liver tumors have to be in order for them to approve the procedure? What brilliant life saving method do they suggest I try instead of the latest cutting edge procedure that is minimally invasive? Surely it can't be a financial decision, right? I have to say that ever since Obamacare has been shoved into existence, and its been good on the one hand because people who are close to me are able to get (however I didn't say *afford) health insurance, the private insurance companies are giving previously insured, current policy holders a run for their money. Nothing is easy anymore. Nothing is approved anymore. Everything requires push-back, follow-up, extensive investigation, filing and re-filing, changing code numbers, etc. etc. A stressful paperwork fight is EXACTLY what people who are facing serious illnesses need, am I right? This next week will be an anxious one for me. I have a birthday on Thursday, perhaps I can pray that good news from the insurance company will be my present that day. Fingers and toes crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment