Sunday, March 18, 2012

Recovering

At home after the surgery Monday and everything is looking pretty good. I am thankful. I am feeling at ease. I had to keep my drains in over the weekend but should have them out tomorrow, Monday at Dr. Hayden's office.

Basically last week went like this: woke up Monday morning, took a Valium (Dr.'s orders), checked in at Westside surgery center, met the anesthesiologist Dr. Saks, barely remember talking to Dr. Hayden while she drew with thick black marker all over my chest and abdomen, Dr. Saks (not the warmest bedside manner) tried to start the IV, didn't work then 2nd time was the charm, felt warm liquid then lights out, woke up in a daze, took a town car to Serenity 8 hours later, went to sleep, they woke me up in the middle of the night to make me eat something, take antibiotics and give me a Demerol shot. Holy hell. Slept for 2 days straight after that, except to eat, use the restroom, take pills and get a second Demerol shot. Spent two more, very much needed nights there and then came home because I missed my darling children TOO much and just had to hug, squeeze, kiss and smell them, (not necessarily in that order). Since then I've been recuperating at home alternating between the master bedroom and the gym (a la guest apartment where I feel totally secluded).

That second day, David came in around 8 or 9 in the morning (I am laughing about it so hard right now typing this) and he sat in the lounge chair in my room trying to be quiet while I slept, put down his briefcase, then started reading the paper --- I woke up, looked at him through slanted eyes and slurred something like "What ARE you doing HERE?!? So he left. LMAO. Apparently he tried to come back another TWO times that day but I was still sleeping off and on and the timing was never right. Poor Guy. He has a heart of gold.  I still find it hilarious though. I was thinking ---[Um, honey, why don't you wait for me to just call you when I'm ready for a visit? I have nurses round the clock here on call at the push of a button. I am fine...really]---but that is exactly what someone in love does. They want to be there for the person they love. Noisy newspaper and all. Love you right back David.

I got lots of wonderful texts, voicemails, emails, and flowers from supporters and I felt great (Thanks Ash, David, and Mom). This time around was 150 (not 180 entirely) degrees different than that first surgery. No transfusions, no bald head, no being weak from Chemo, now granted I'm not bouncing back as fast as a normal healthy person but I am so thankful to be as strong as I am right now.  Abby is even enjoying helping me clean and record my drain output. Ohhhh laaaaaa laaaaa, that's so spectacular (that's a fancy word for awesome).  Paging Dr. Abby Berman.

I'd like to close with an inside joke "I look forward to our bright future together" too.

Congratulations to all the amazing runners in the Los Angeles Marathon. I was feeling inspired!

XOXO


3 comments:

  1. How is it I'm just finding your blog now?!! You are an amazing woman, just as you were an amazing girl when you were my student at Wilmington Jr. High. I'm up past my bedtime reading your posts. Hoping all good things for you and your beautiful family. Thanks for the inspiration and great writing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to read your updates Jess! We are thinking about you and here to support you and your family in any way we can. We care! xoxox The Reiner people

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are home and healing well. Lots of love to you and your fam! xoxo

    ReplyDelete