Friday, March 9, 2012

Woo hoo!

So...here I am typing to you from the beautiful Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Cabo San Lucas. I am here. I have defied Doctor's orders to stick around and be a pathetic fixture waiting at home to see if I can get my surgery. We cancelled this trip twice already because I was supposed to have the surgery two different times and even though I was given the 3/12 tentative surgery date I told David "book it" because I didn't think it was likely the surgery was going to happen since 1) my blood doesn't want to cooperate and 2) there's nothing I can "take" to heal my blood except time so why live my life as a lady in waiting? And what perfect way to heal my blood than with a little R&R without kids in a beautiful setting?

This has been quite a week. Tuesday I went to get my blood work done at Dr. McAndrew's office (going to call her Dr. McA as one of my commentators Sandra said, I love it). Guess what, they had a hard time finding the vein again. Annoying. Then one of the nurses Susana tells me that I need to wait for my results so I can see Dr. McA. I love all of these nurses and lab techs, they are really awesome, even when they poke me wrong or twice (not the person that poked me three times though). Ominous. She lead me into a room and I ask Claudia, McA's nurse what my results were and she says that they are still low. 2.1 for the white count again. F*ck. I was ready for Dr. McA to read me the riot act and tell me to get lost but instead she looked at my numbers and says, "the numbers aren't great but since we ran all the other tests for bleeding and clotting disorders and they all came back normal I am clearing you for surgery"... And then the clouds parted to reveal the bluest sky with a radiant sun whilst the angels sang a sweet melody of pure joy.

I heard only half of what she said after that point but something about my white blood count being low but having enough neutrophils to be able to fight off an infection. She also gave me the go ahead to come to Cabo with the promise of hand washing, sanitizing and bactroban nasal inserts to protect me from germs.  I was ecstatic!!! Yes, I'm taking a risk getting on an airplane but its not like I'm going to some third world country, it's Cabo and at an amazing resort. I did shorten our trip to come back home Saturday instead of Sunday because IF I was able to have the surgery I want to spend the whole day before with my precious babies.

So this all worked out. I'm having the surgery Monday at 8AM, I get to come to Cabo to recharge the battery, and then go home and have a day with the kiddos before the surgery. I'm stoked!!


No comments:

Post a Comment