Saturday, January 18, 2014

First Infusion Day

We went to Houston on Wednesday evening, which was on the end of my second day on 300 calories during the fast. I was worried about traveling because of all the food and smells at the airport and on the plane but it was rather easy. We couldn't get any flights that worked with our timing so we ended up in "first class" on an airline I've never heard of...Spirit Airlines. Well I wouldn't really call it an airline except that it does fly planes with passengers and gets you to your destination. Everything is a charge up. It's like going to one of those manicure/pedicure places where everything is $5 dollars more. Oh you want a water? That will be three dollars. Even in first class, its not first class. It's the "big seat" as they call it but you DO get to bypass security as a "first class" passenger which is worthwhile. Anyway, I digress. It was actually good because the flight attendants weren't making smelly food for people and the food that people brought with them on board smelt greasy which I wouldn't have eaten anyway. David ate in front of me the next day at the hospital and I had my "soup" and I did just fine. I had to supplement days 2 and 3 with 5 almonds (38 calories) so I could take my medicines but other than that I stuck it out.

Houston results: nothing earth shattering. After an exam they said that my liver, despite the lesions, felt normal and the blood work shows normal liver function. Good news. They agreed with Dr. McAndrew's suggestion of Abraxane. Three weeks on, one week off that equals one cycle. After two cycles then they want scans, and of course monitoring of tumor markers through blood work.

My first infusion day was Friday at Tower, we showed up at 8:15 and as I checked in I asked who my nurse was and of course, it was Mary Lou. She is my rock! Everything went fine. Port access was a breeze thanks to her, it was very smooth.  I was talking to a staff member while they put the cold spray then inserted the Huber needle.  Piece of cake. I was very worried about it.  Here's what my arm looks like after the port placement and difficulty. He said there would be some bruising but it looks worse than it feels (although I'm not really doing much with that arm for the next two weeks so I can't be sure). I can now sleep on it and it isn't too sore which is a godsend when you are a side sleeper.



David took me to the infusion, my hero since he has been missing a lot of work to take care of me. Apparently he told me they like when he is out of the office though since he is "grouchy" when he is there...poor guy. He's got a lot on his plate. He was a trooper and very helpful so it was nice to have him there at the first infusion.

Since Cedars has taken over Tower Oncology things are a little different. They have an on-sire family therapist and social worker, on on-site nutritionist and dietician, insurance and billing staff, and more. It was a little odd that all these people kept coming over but all in all it was very welcoming. A sort of welcome back and look at all these things we have to offer now!

After the port access went so smooth, the only thing I was really worried about was the Penguin cold cap therapy. I have very mixed views on it. It is expensive and a huge hassle. I am doing it to keep things looking normal for the kids because I think now at Abby's age she would really understand that things were very different if I lost my hair. You can hire someone to be there at your infusions to change each cap for you because it must be done quick and every 30 minutes. It's very precise. The woman who helped me, Gail, was lovely and very helpful. The goal is to keep your scalp at -22 degrees. Here's what I looked like with the cold cap on.


I got the premeds, one for anti-naseau and some steroids, you know how I feel about those. I told them I thought you didn't need steroids with the Abraxane since it is encapsulated in fat and they said it was only a tiny amount...(Flash forward from infusion yesterday to this morning where I was up at 4:30 AM because of our house alarm and couldn't fall back asleep to the preparing an elaborate breakfast - roasted apples with agave and cinnamon, Dr. Mao's beautiful hot cereal, oatmeal and berries, paid bills, fixed the calendar, returned emails, played with kids...and on and on). They should not ever give me steroids. ROIDS!!!!  Anyway, the actual abraxane infusion is only 30 minutes. When they give you the Abraxane they cover your hands and feet in ice packs since it tends to cause bad neuropathy in extremities. Here's a photo of me in those.


So once I was finished by 11AM, I had to stay until 3pm so we could continue to apply the cold caps to my scalp. My scalp got very numb and it wasn't every very uncomfortable. They give you a nice warm electric blanket to keep you warm.  I will tell you though that given everything I have been through I can handle a lot. It's like "oh you want me to do what?...yeah, bring it on"... So we'll see how this goes. I plan to do it this first month but given that my infusion is so short I would kind of rather just lose my hair and wear my wig. I'm taking it to my hair girl to have it touched up so it doesn't look like last time with that thick bang fringe and all one color. I have highlights now so it needs to look somewhat the same...

I got a nice visit from another stage IV cancer thriver Paige and it was so awesome to finally meet her in person and give her a hug. We have a lot in common and I hope we can rely on each other for years and years and years while we go through this journey and raise our little ones. Love you Paige!!

I was so thrilled to start the transition back to a normal diet. I did yesterday, however, re-read portions of Keith Block's "Life Over Cancer" book and am adhering to a strict diet while off the fast. Anything I can do to shrink this cancer and get it gone for good I am doing.

Over and out.

3 comments:

  1. You are such a fighter, Jess....I admire your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so interesting to read everything you've been doing -- it sounds like you are tackling this in the best way possible. I wanted to let you know, a friend of mind did the cold-capping thru her chemo, and it definitely works. I think she had a tiny bit of hair loss, but you would never have known she was doing chemo. Boy, that oatmeal sounded yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're one of the strongest person I know. Aj and I love you so much Jess. you and everyone in the family are always in our prayers. :) we'll visit soon. :)

    ReplyDelete