Thursday, November 1, 2012

Results...or partly there of

In U.S. News I am saddened for the loss of life and the people devastated by Hurricane Sandy on the East Coast. I am even more devastated by the family whose two children were victims of a troubled nanny who fell off the deep end. Both of these things cause pain in my heart but keep my own struggles in perspective.  I am going to just keep on moving forward focusing on those things I can do to help myself.

When I I had my liver biopsy at Cedars, the doctor got four samples, "three plus an extra for Cedars to keep" he said. The samples were sent to a lab at Tower Cancer Research Foundation for analysis. Based on all the articles I have been reading I insisted that a full work up be done for prognostic markers, gene profiling, chemistry, etc. So I have been patiently, or not so patiently waiting for two and a half weeks (!!!!).  I had called Dr. McAndrew Friday but didn't get a return call until yesterday morning after I emailed her directly asking WHAT WAS UP?!?!?!?

Philomena told me that there were some problems getting all the work ups because the Lab didn't have enough sample material to complete the gene profiling. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!! Yes, Cedars took four samples but used extras for their own scientific analysis. How can they do that? I was in too much shock to even ask. Not sure if I will repeat the liver biopsy and if I do I will probably not go to Cedars or use the TCRF lab. Not sure who is at fault there. I am under the impression that the genetic profiling determines what genes, if any, are over expressed in the cancer and could therefore allow me to get into specific clinical trials so I am anxious to have that analysis done. I read a very interesting article yesterday about new classifications of breast cancer and so I'm also curious what type I have in this new outlook. I believe I fall under the Luminal B category. 

Article - Genetic Studies Identifies Four Main Types of Breast Cancer

Another interesting research publication I found - Oral Presentations from the Madrid Breast Cancer Conference - here I am interested in 012, 013, 014 and 015

An incredible amount of research is being done and I want to be a part of it. I also want to benefit from it too, of course. I do not want to go with "standard of care". The goal is this - to have the most aggressive treatment available with the least amount of side effects.

The only thing we do know from the biopsy is that the tumor markers have not changed. The problem is that my type of cancer is supposed to be responsive to anti-hormonal therapy but clearly it wasn't. According to the new classifications I now know that I am in the Luminal B group and therefore my cancer was not as responsive and more likely to recur. What I am not sure of is how my treatment protocol would have been or could have been different. That is the key question. 

I am on a VIP referral list at MD Anderson and I just started the intake process to become a new patient. I am leaning more and more towards that even though I love Dr. McAndrew. It is likely that I will come up with a treatment plan collectively and go back and forth between the two for treatment.  I already talked about it with Philomena and she's supportive and is already gathering reports to be helpful.  I am meeting with her Friday afternoon to discuss what she recommends and a plan to move forward.

I had another appointment with the Shaman, Lena, and I found it once again very helpful. She suggested that I consider cancer my teacher. She said the best teachers are often the most ruthless. The harder the challenge the more we can learn. SO...going forward I am going to stop calling cancer by it's diseased name. Instead I am going to call it "teacher". In the morning I am going to ask - "Teacher, what do you want me to learn today?" and I am going to listen. I am going to take a pause and really try to understand what the lesson is for me each day and do it. 

Keep Calm and Carry On!

1 comment:

  1. Just my opinion, but I think you are smart to be getting away from Cedars. I had too many experiences with them where things fell through the cracks. The situation you described is not acceptable. Period. Your plan of combining programs thru Anderson and Dr. McA. sounds quite quite smart and I hope they provide you with some good options! Thinking about you and sending you all the good vibes I can muster. Sandra

    ReplyDelete